Saturday, January 15, 2011

Paul of Thebes

lived during the reign of Decius and Vallerian in 255. He came from Thebes in Egypt. Because he knew that his brother-in-law was going to turn him over to Decius and Vallerian as a Christian, he fled away like David into the desert and up to the mountains.

St. Jerome relates the meeting of Saint Anthony and Paul, when the latter was aged 113. They conversed with each other for one day and one night. When Anthony next visited him, Paul was dead. Anthony clothed him in a tunic which was a present from Saint Athanasius and buried him, with two lions helping to dig the grave.


The Propers for Paul of Thebes - The First Hermit

The Collect.

O GOD, who makest us glad with the yearly feast of thy Confessor Saint Paul: mercifully grant that as we now observe his heavenly birthday; so we may follow him in all virtuous and godly living. Through Jesus Christ Our Lord and Saviour. Amen.


The Epistle - Philippians 3:7-12.

BRETHREN: what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, and be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.


The Gospel - St Matthew 11:25-30.

At that time Jesus answered and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes. Even so, Father: for so it seemed good in thy sight. All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.


Reference and Resources:

http://www.episcopalnet.org/1928bcp/propers/Missal/Jan15.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Paul_the_Hermit

http://www.missionstclare.com/english/people/jan15o.html

No comments: