Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Vigil of St. Luke


The Collect.

GRANT, we beseech thee, Almighty God: that as we do prevent the festival of thy holy Apostle Saint Luke so he may implore thy mercy for us; that we being delivered from all our iniquities, may likewise be defended against all adversities. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with thee and the Holy Ghost ever, one God, world without end. Amen.


The Epistle -  Ecclesiasticus 44:22-45:5, 7

THE blessing of the Lord was upon the head of the righteous. Therefore the Lord gave him an heritage; and divided his portion among the twelve tribes. And he found favour in the sight of all fleshy. And the Lord magnified him so that his enemies stood in fear of him. By his words he caused the wonders to cease: he made him glorious in the sight of kings, and gave him a commandment for his people, and shewed him his glory. He sanctified him in his faithfulness and meekness, and chose him out of all men. He gave him commandments before his face, even the law of life and knowledge, and exalted him. An everlasting covenant he made with him: the Lord beautified him with ornaments of righteousness: and clothed him with a robe of glory.


The Holy Gospel - St John 15:12-16

This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you. Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.


+

No comments: